Sunday, August 12, 2007

LOL, looks like Blake sent in an email to Friday Email Bag and Mickey gave a good response......

Hey Idiot,

Looks like Vic Koenning punked you and shut you up on the radio this week.

Blake, J

Blake J,
Thanks for the kind words. First, let me say that I think Coach Koenning has every right to say what he feels and he was obviously upset at me for making a few comments about his scheme in a few games. He has the right to express how he feels about it.

I also think it is OK for me to question the scheme when it does not work. Would you not agree? Few are immune to criticism and that includes the coach and the radio host.

Clemson’s defense had 722 plays last year and their linebackers had seven sacks and 10 quarterback pressures the entire year. In three games against pocket passers with little mobility (Boston College and Matt Ryan on a bad ankle, Maryland and Stan Hollenbach and South Carolina and Blake Mitchell) Clemson had a total of 13 yards in sacks. They did not sack Blake Mitchell the entire game. I think it is fair to question the scheme.

The last two games of the season Clemson gave up 901 yards. I think it is OK to question the scheme.

College football at this level is a big business. I am not sure any coach should be surprised if you give up 900 yards in two games that you might be questioned.

I was also surprised he named a former defensive coordinator at Clemson in the interview and threw him under the bus. That is the only thing that upsets me. I don’t think it is good protocol to talk about former coaches in that manner. He has every right to question a sports talk show host but not former coaches.

One final note, I called a former coach a couple of years ago to explain what I said on the radio about his scheme. I wanted to explain myself and tell him why I said what I said. I felt a little foolish a few seconds in the call when the assistant said, “Mickey, no offense but I am too busy to listen to your show. For every second I spend worrying about sports talk radio is a second I could have spent on my job and my players.”

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive