Thursday, September 08, 2011

Quick Thoughts/Upcoming Week/Concerns

Sorry for the long pause between posts. It's been a hectic week (well, actually I bought a new video game). Lets get right to it...

I had a lot of nasty things to say about Clemson Saturday during the game. I can't really blame alcohol for it. I guess, when they came out and performed the way they did I started thinking, "Here we go again" like so many Clemson fans were probably thinking. What I should've been doing was paying attention to the game in it's entirety. Clemson's offense showed the promise that Chad Morris can deliver points, and points fast. The freshmen were as good as advertised and then some. I'm probably the last person to mention it, but Sammy Watkins is for real.

South Carolina made me feel a little better about Clemson, I must admit. They are as talented as anybody and still showed signs of first game disfunction. On a different note, they put up 56 points while looking sloppy. What happens when they get in sync? They have players ready to score all over the place. Still....I think quarterback play is at least a small concern. Lets see what happens next week.

Like when they go to Athens. First, I think South Carolina will win. They are just too talented and better coached than the Bulldogs. I do, however, think that the Bulldogs will put a scare into them. They will be mad and hungry. You can bet though, that Mike Bobo's molassas play-action passes will be stuffed when Georgia can't run effectively enough to make anyone guard against it. I think South Carolina will pull away late in the third/early fourth and win 33-17.

Clemson plays Wofford. No predictions for that game. I just want to see the offensive rythm and pace increase. It's another much-needed tune up game before the War Eagles come to Death Valley.

I do have a few concerns. Clemson's secondary is going to have depth issues now that that Hall injury may be serious. People will test them early and often. I am also concerned about the defensive line. I would only call it average right now, but it's a long season, so maybe it will improve. And yes, Tajh Boyd is a major concern to me right now. Maybe I'm being harsh, but he seems very hesitant right now. That is a killer. He will get trashed all year if he doesn't gain more confidence and poise in the pocket. Right now, he looks for one reciever, and when he's not open, he tries to run. Short passes looked great in the second half, but great teams will key on the short game and we will see if Boyd has worked on his downfield threat.

I think South Carolina has to improve pass defense. Not the game to make too many judgments, but 37 points are a lot to give to anyone. If their defense doesn't tighten up they won't win 10 games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive