Sunday, September 04, 2011

My obersvations..

First off Clemson and I still have not watched the second half of the ballgame..

For me this was like watching a movie for myself that everyone said was terrible. The 13th Warrior for example, everyone said don't waste your time its terrible. A few years went by and for some reason I watched it one day. I thought it was a damn good movie. Of course I did not think Clemson's offense was damn good in the first half but it was not anything like I expected either.

First off the first drive was just what we wanted and expected to see. Chad Morris said the first 9 plays would be scripted, he had the first 3 scripted right for sure. Then we had a few pretty decent plays but lots of inconsistency, which quite frankly we should have expected. This definitely did not look like a team that could lose to a highschool team. Jut really looked like a team with a new offensive scheme, offensive coordinator, and a new inexperienced QB. How can you not expect something like what we saw is not possible is beyond me.

Even Chad Morris said he just could not get into a rhythm with play calling in the first half. But unlike what we have seen in the past, he recognized that as his fault, went into the locker room and made pretty good adjustments.

Boyd, same thing. Everyone can say what they want but he did not give up. He came back out with his head held high and had a good second half. He was never going to be tasked with winning the game this early, meaning he is not looking for allot or making allot of reads. He is going to look down the field and if its not there he won't try and make it be there for a while. We should have expected that, Auburn did the same thing early with Cam Newton last year. You can expect that for the first few games of the season.

One thing I was surprised about was the lack of a fast pace. Not sure if that was by design or not but I expected this team to be faster. They ran 68 plays, so on a better day 80 is certainly possible. It just was not as fast as I expected. Caldwell looked like he made some adjustments at the half with the OL. They were better in the second half.

Fans who booed at the end of the first half was just damned embarrassing. I hope they stay home from now on.

Another thing we should have expected. Troy really understands what we were trying to do, they run something fairly the same.

All in all, it just wasn't as bad as I expected when I watched it. 470 yards in your first outing with all the other factors is not bad. I still thing we can get it together and have a good year. I think the Wofford game as another tune up is critical and I am glad it fell out like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive