Sunday, November 19, 2006

Yea I've seen it..


I personally don't think he's going anywhere, especially not an acc school...

That article was blown way out of proportion.. The part about him "jokingly said that he hopes to be back at South Carolina next year, but that depends on the school's athletic director and president."

His actual quote right after that comment was "I'm not leaving unless I get run off."

I listened to the tele-conference myself and in this article (that I'm going to post) is exactly what he said, and if you listened to his way of speaking, and if you just heard the way he talked I'm sure you would be convinced that Spurrier is going to be at Carolina for a while..

Spurrier wants to make history by doing something that has never been done, and that is to win a SEC championship at Carolina. He has stated that over and over again..

He won't be able to do that at Miami or Alabama. Simply because it has been done at Bama, and it can't be done at miami because they are in the acc.

Spurrier isn't looking for another job, and I won't worry about him leaving for somewhere else until after he wins an SEC championship at Carolina. But I think he will retire at Carolina, and win many SEC championships during his tenture.

This whole thing is going to make a laughing stock out of the reporters that wrote articles like the one you posted. I had read that same article that you posted earlier today, and the guy from CSTV that wrote that article got embarrassed by Spurrier during the tele-conference I listened to. Spurrier called him out for starting rumors from seeing stuff on the internet.. The guy said "thank you coach Spurrier" then he hung up the phone. Two hours later, this article comes out.. lol..

After Spurrier was quoted saying (and I heard him say it) he had no interest in the Miami job, the guy wrote in that article that "he never insisted he wasn't interested, but instead, tip-toed around the answer." LOL.. That guy is a joke. He's just mad because Spurrier embarrased him in front of all his media friends. What's even funnier is, that guy has no actual quotes from Spurrier..

You read Spurrier's REAL quotes and comments, then tell me what you think..


Spurrier: I have no interest in Miami job

Calming the fears of South Carolina fans, Steve Spurrier denied widespread speculation Sunday afternoon that he's leaving South Carolina to take the heading coaching job at Miami.

"That's a rumor I guess someone started," Spurrier said. "In a way it's flattering that they would throw my name in there with one of the top football programs the last 25 years. I came to South Carolina to win a SEC Championship."

CSTV first reported late Saturday night that a deal to make Spurrier the new coach at Miami was close to being consummated, saying Spurrier would "likely" be named the next head coach for the Hurricanes.

Spurrier confronted the CSTV reporter during the teleconference.

"Listen, I have no interest and they haven't expressed any interest in me," Spurrier said. "Somebody just started a rumor about it. I'm the coach at South Carolina and I'm trying to beat Clemson this week."

ESPN picked up the story and reported it on its internet site and during 'SportsCenter' on Sunday morning. Spurrier also confronted ESPN's Joe Schad during the teleconference. Schad told Spurrier he had been informed the Hurricanes had targeted him as "their top choice."

"Who at Miami (has made him the top choice), the President, the AD or some guy sleeping under the bridge down there?" Spurrier asked.

Larry Coker, the embattled head coach of the Hurricanes, is expected to be fired shortly after the regular season concludes. Miami is 5-6 this season and must beat nationally ranked Boston College in its final regular season game to become bowl eligible.

Coker is 58-15 at Miami.

Spurrier said he first heard of the reports when his daughter Amy called him Sunday morning. Shortly thereafter, Spurrier spoke with Ivan Maisel of ESPN and he denied any interest at that time.

"I am not a candidate for any job," Spurrier said. "Just leave it at that."

Spurrier said he hasn't even been contacted by anyone at Miami about the job and does not expect to be contacted.

"I don't think anybody is going to contact me here," Spurrier said. "If Miami does make a change, I'm sure there are good candidates. Miami is not going to call me. Rumors are easy to start."

With players such as wide receiver Sidney Rice expected to return in 2007, Spurrier repeated his earlier statements that USC should be a SEC championship contender next season.

"We're going to make that our goal starting next year and hopefully every year I'm here," Spurrier said. "That's the exciting and challenging part of coaching here at South Carolina."

Asked if he would return to South Carolina next season, Spurrier said, "I certainly hope so. We have a President and athletic director that make it the cause. This is the challenge and the opportunity that I really look forward to. I'm not leaving unless I get run off."

USC was 6-5 in Lou Holtz's final season at USC in 2004 but declined a bowl bid after a ferocious brawl in the Clemson game.

Spurrier understood he wasn't inheriting a powerhouse program.

"I knew we would take our lumps a little bit the first couple of years," Spurrier said. "We're trying to build our team up. This is a wonderful place with wonderful fans and that's the goal, to win a SEC Championship at South Carolina. We knew it wasn't going to be easy."

USC is 6-5 entering Saturday's annual rivalry game with Clemson following a convincing 52-7 victory over Middle Tennessee yesterday at Williams-Brice Stadium.

Spurrier led the Gamecocks to a 7-5 record last season in his first season as head coach that included historic wins over Tennessee and Florida.

"This is where I plan to be hopefully for the next five, seven, eight years," Spurrier said.

Spurrier is 13-10 in two seasons in Columbia.

ESPN reported Sunday that "influential trustees and boosters" have convinced the University of Miami President to replace Coker, despite his lofty record.

Hoping to make a "splashy hire," Spurrier, the head coach at Florida from 1990-2002, was the top choice for the job, ESPN reported.


Now what do you think? Hope it looks better for you now : )

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive