Friday, September 14, 2007

Ok, cleared up, I have no problems with this. Out of context as usual....

Some blamed me and our morning radio show. Some blamed the media. Some are still looking to point the finger somewhere but the target keeps moving.

For those that did not hear the entire last two days of the morning show allow me to express what exactly what was said to clear up any misunderstanding. On the show we presented every possible situation including Harper�s continued success and/or failure and Korn�s future success and/or failure. I was very comfortable how we have handled the situation over the course of the last two shows. I thought we have been very fair to Harper, Korn, Bowden and Spence. We laid out every possible scenario.

The subject came up Wednesday morning because in his Tuesday press conference Bowden was asked, �Can you see a situation where Korn and Harper become part of a two-quarterback system this season?�

Bowden answers, �I don�t know if we are ready for that yet but I think he has potential. I remember Charlie Whitehurst against Virginia and he went for 7-and-7 and that caught your eye. It�s a similar situation. Willy had a very similar performance. It gets your attention. That�s something that could possibly happen as we go through the year.

Next question: �Could you see a scenario where Korn plays a lot this week?�

Bowden response, �No. How am I supposed to answer that? You are insinuating we are going to blow Furman out. Cullen is doing pretty good. At a later date? Yes.

The head coach was asked about the situation after Wednesday�s practice and added, �If he continues to do what he is doing, then there is an opportunity that I will play him in a more critical situation other than the end of the game. Guys were covered and he scrambled and made plays with his legs and his arms,� Bowden said. �We are a multiple formation team and he managed the team good, so there were several things that happened good.�

When asked if he had ever had a true freshman quarterback play like that Bowden answered, �That was the first time I�ve seen that,� the head coach said. �I have seen guys go out there that first time as a veteran � and he is a true freshman � and have seen them line up under center and they�re supposed to be in shotgun or open up the wrong way. I�ve seen that. I�ve seen that happen, and that didn�t happen with him.�

How does this affect Harper, �(Cullen) is our first-team quarterback,� Bowden said. �We have a first team and a second team. I don�t how I really can explain it other than that� He is our first-team quarterback.�

�I haven�t thought that far ahead yet,� Bowden said when asked how much we will see of Korn in the future. �I want to see if he can go in there and perform like he did Saturday. Charlie (Whitehurst) did it a couple of times. The first time he did it we just didn�t move him in and demote Willie (Simmons). There was another game he did it in and I said, �this guy looks like he can be pretty consistent. Now if (Korn) goes 6-of-8 again, I don�t care who you are going against, that�s pretty good.�

If the head coach makes comments like that then this is a story at almost any program in the country. So here is what is clear to me:

1. Cullen Harper is the starting quarterback.
2. Harper set the school record for touchdown passes in a game.
3. Korn played well in his first outing.
4. Korn will see more playing time as the gap continues to close.

So where is the controversy?

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive