Saturday, August 17, 2013

I Find It All Offensive

I love Clemson's offense for the most part. It makes the game exciting. Clemson has proven that you can win with it. I think that Clemson is more successful against the SEC with it because they are all but an SEC team, talent wise. Sure, Gamecock fans are going to say you're stupid. Clemson can't score on real SEC teams or look how good Chad Morris is against us. All of it is fan speak and tinted glasses. In 2011 the Tigers were essentially a bunch of TALENTED but INEXPERIENCED freshmen and sophomores on offense that overachieved. Last year was the evolution of that. Clemson didn't lose to SC because of their offense but because their secondary was depleted and just not talented enough to get off the field on third down.

I love great defenses but I don't agree with Nick Saban's philosophy completely. I am somewhere in the middle on a lot of the rule changing happening to the defensive players. I don't think Clowney's hit was illegal. I don't know where the line should be drawn. I don't think no huddle offenses should be stripped of what makes them so dynamic. I don't think defenses should be weighed down by rules that take away from their instincts and big play ability. I do know that change is coming in major waves to football. These guys have gotten so big and fast that they are basically killing each other. Am I sympathetic? Not too much, but the rest of the world will have something to say. This game will be a different product in five to ten years. Hell, it already is.

I think Gus Malzahn is a damn good offensive coordinator, but it will be several years before he can break through. I don't think they will win an SEC under him, but I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive