Sunday, July 09, 2006

Fredrick, Downey Transfer to USC



Count them in!

USC Head Coach Dave Odom announced Thursday that rising junior Zam "Buck" Fredrick III and rising sophomore Devan Downey have transferred to South Carolina. Both have been accepted to the University and both are enrolled in summer school classes.The two guards are former Mr. Basketball award winners from the Palmetto State. Fredrick, who spent the past two seasons at Georgia Tech, earned the honor in 2004. Buck played for his father, former USC star Zam Fredrick, at Calhoun County High School in St. Matthews.Downey, who spent the past season at the University of Cincinnati, earned the honor in 2005 while playing at Chester High School.Both will have to sit out a season - under NCAA transfer rules - and will not be eligible to play for the Gamecocks until the 2007-2008 season. Fredrick will have two years of

eligibility remaining and Downey will have three.“I have spoken to both of them and believe through those conversations their return shows they have a great deal of pride in the state and much confidence in our basketball program,” said Dave Odom. “They feel that they will add a great deal to our team and I agree.”Fredrick playing in 47 games for Georgia Tech, and started 18 games during his sophomore season. His 2006 highlights include: scoring 19 points at Florida State, a career-high 22 against NC State, 15 at North Carolina, 17 at Maryland, 13 at Duke and 17 against the Clemson Tigers.Last season Fredrick had 16 double-digit scoring games, 10 of them in ACC play. His freshman year at Tech he played in 19 games, averaging 1.6 points and 0.8 assists.When asked how the team has welcomed him Fredrick said, “We hang out together, spend a lot of time together and make sure we have the bond we need to when the season starts. I know Brandon Wallace. We played against each other in the state championship game and we played AAU together. We have a good relationship and he’s introduced me to the guys. I’m glad to be back.”Having the opportunity to play in your fathers footsteps is something that doesn’t happen too often. “It’s probably more exciting for him than me,” said Fredrick. “ I hope I can fill his shoes and live up to them. I want to make my name. I came to USC to do that and not feel that pressure.” Devan Downey, 5-10, 175 lbs, was a regular starter for Cincinnati averaging 11.9 points per game, 4.3 assists and 2.7 rebounds. Downey was named to the Big East All-Rookie team his freshman year. His highlights with the Bobcats include: 16 points and 10 assists, one shy of his career high, in the win over No. 16 West Virginia.The University of Cincinnati played USC in the quarterfinals of the NIT last year and Downey said, “South Carolina played hard. I liked the guards were able to play. I liked that Tre’ and Tarence ran sets from Coach Odom, but they were also able to do their things. When I looked to transfer later, that type of play was in the back of my mind.” “I’m excited to come back to South Carolina. My family can come to all my games now,” said Downey. “Zam and I want to come here and put the program back where it needs to be.”“They feel that they will add a great deal to our team and I agree. They are both fine young men and we are delighted to welcome them into the Gamecock family,” said Odom.

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=39595

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Followers

Pageviews past week

Blog Archive